Sunday, March 9, 2014

They Can't All Be Winners

I put the same amount of time and effort into every piece that I paint.  No matter if it is a small table or a large dresser, whether it is solid wood or pressboard, they all get the same amount of blood, sweat and tears.

That doesn't mean they all come out the way I want them to. Some just don't make me as happy as others do. It may have been my color choice, or the piece's issues can't be hidden, or the technique I used didn't quite work out.    
That being said, the pieces were still put up for sale at the consignment store. I know sometimes I am being my own worst critic and that someone may find what I did perfect for them.
This dresser was a beautiful shape, but the pink color on it threw me off and I just couldn't get past it.
I painted it a grey color hoping that after I distressed the pink color would pop through in a good way. It didn't. And the hardware replacements I had (that were in my budget) were just not what I had in mind.   
This child size chair and table both already had been painted when I got them. I thought to layer on more colors so when I distressed it would look cool to see all the different colors.
I painted the chair with white and then both the chair and table a light blue. For some reason thought this intensely bright pink would look good on top.  Because these are child size, I figured I could get away with the pink, but I should have skipped the blue because it clashed. 
This two drawer table isn't made of wood or even pressboard--it is some kind of thin hardboard.  To liven it up, I decided to add a graphic that went over the two drawers.  I took a long time figuring out what graphic (from The Graphic's Fairy) to use and then sized it for the drawers.
I measured and remeasured, marked the centers on both the graphic and drawer, painstakingly applied it and smoothed out the paper, waited 24 hours for it to dry and then wet it to remove the top layer of paper to reveal the graphic.  I put the drawers in place and as you can see IT DIDN'T LINE UP. Seriously?!

The dresser took months to sell, but the pink table and chair sold in one day and the French graphic table sold in a week.  Go figure!

Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Creative Home Expressions | Dwellings | Pink When | Rain On A Tin Roof | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | Cozy Little House | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Ella Claire | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | Ivy And Elephants | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | Lamberts Lately | Sweet Haute | Saving 4 Six | Start At Home | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | One More Time Events | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | The Shabby Nest | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | One Project Closer | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

12 comments:

  1. I love seeing furniture that's been transformed by paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting? Ya just never know! But I think all your pieces are beautiful! That's why I have 3 things I've picked up waiting for me to do my magic. Except I've never done it before. But I will! Yeah. I will. When I have nerve. In the mean time, I'll watch you!!! Dona

    ReplyDelete
  3. What method did you use to transfer the graphic. When you said you applied it and waited for it to dry then wet it to remove the paper, it sounds like Citri Solv. I'm just learning about all the different methods and I am very curious about what exactly you did. I have learned so much from you and I know I will continue to do so. Thanks so much for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the original pale pink dresser; but don't like the gray version. Like you said, funny what some people like.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the honesty of this post, and you're right, we can put our best efforts into our work and sometimes they can't all be winners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how it turned out in the end - some pieces are a dream come true - some are nightmares from the get go!
    I've had my share :)
    And I had the exact same dresser - as the first one you showed - and it took 2 attempts - 2 complete different looks before it sold !
    Great post!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep...been there....done that. :(
    Can u tell me how to transfer a design to a piece of furniture? I have a cedar chest that I want to paint and then use a french graphic on it. You talk about "letting it dry"....what kind of paper?
    Thanks
    here from cozy little house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand so well. But you are good at what you do. Thank you for sharing these. I have a dresser to show you. I Have A New blog, Five painted lane and there is an orange dresser if you look closely.. .awe noooo! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha Ha. I had one of those pieces last week!! doesn't it just pick you butt. Anyways, I thing it turned out alright, way better than it looked coming in. Chic By Tab

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we are usually our own worst critic! We see every single flaw! But in the end, they all found a happy new home and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Labor of Love...do you ever really get compensated for all the time it takes to find the pieces, choose the finishes, purchase the mediums, prep the pieces, do the work, and the efforts to sell them...labor of love!!! (speaking from experience in having a shop) You are so talented, and it's such fun seeing your work! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. It goes to show you just never know for sure what people will love. Thanks for sharing your hits and misses at TTF!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!