Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Secondhand Scores #6

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Between a church sale and a few garage sales on Saturday and a trip to the Leesport Farmers Market Sunday Flea Market, I got these scores:
Top left: A large burlap lampshade for $1, the Little Mermaid movie poster for my daughter for $1, a set of three laminate shelves for $1.
Right: Rustic bucket, four bat wing handles and a roll of clear shelf paper were $1 total.  
Bottom left: A few yards of black & white hounds tooth fabric and pink & white gingham fabric for $.50 total, two ceramic knobs for $1, two brand new linen pillow shams for $2 and a bank money bag for $1. 

I have been seeing the money bags around a lot lately, but they are usually smaller or selling for more than $1.  I got it and made it into a small pillow for my bedroom since the red graphics pick up the red in my quilt.  I washed, ironed and stuffed it with some poly-fil and secured the top with safety pins and those cute buttons that were from my mom's stash of buttons.
My husband collects coins so I think it is cute to have.  It's kind of like a grain sack--maybe I started a new trend!  Maybe not...

Also on Sunday was the bi-monthly furniture auction.  This auction has been getting more and more people to attend as the weather gets nice, so I haven't been able to score too many pieces in my budget.  But since they fly through the auction in one hour, it's always worth going to.
I scored this mid century Lane cedar chest at the very end of the auction for $1.  It's in pretty rough shape, but I see it's potential!!  The top needs to be sanded and if the scratches didn't go too deep I will try to stain it.  The two holes (bullet? BB?) in the front don't go through to the cedar, I can just fill them in.  The inside is in perfect condition.  Ideas are swimming in my head as to what color to paint it and I can't wait to get started on it!


Linking to:
Southern Lovely
Housewives of Riverton
Not Done Growing
Mom On Timeout
I Gotta Create
All Things With Purpose
Beyond The Picket Fence
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Embracing Change
House of Hepworths
PJH Designs
Domestic Superhero
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest
Lovely Crafty Home
Redoux
The Best Blog Recipes
Liz Marie
Simple Home Life 
Six Sisters' Stuff
Funky Junk 
Too Much Time On My Hands
Classy Clutter
Life on Lakeshore Drive
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Dwellings
Craft-O-Maniac
Coastal Charm
Better With Age
Cozy Little House
Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Lolly Jane  
Today's Creative Blog
Kammy's Korner
PJH Designs
Elizabeth & Co.
Not Just A Housewife
DIY Dreamer
{Primp}
Savvy Southern Style
The Rustic Pig
If Its Not Baroque
Fluster Buster
Green Willow Pond
Bright Green Door

Featured by:
Cozy Little House

22 comments:

  1. Great Finds! I used to have a little mermaid puzzle with the same design growing up. Oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun finds and great repurpose. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garage sale season is here !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the thrill of the hunt! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the money bag, knobs, and bucket, or and the Chest was a total SCORE! You did great! It makes me want to find some treasures this weekend too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A dollar! That is a true score. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan - You found some great stuff! Love the money bag - it made such a cute pillow.

    Am coming over from Brenda's Cozy Little House.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cedar chest! What a great find. I'm here from brenda's. Welcome!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving that cedar chest and a $1? Really! Wonderful finds. I'm a new follower. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh ... the mid-century piece gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great price!!! Can't wait to see her once you've added your special touch!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pillow! Found you at Coastal Charm, new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely finds! I just bought an old bank sack a few weeks ago. It doesn't have any cool writing on it so I was thinking about painting it and making a pillow too;)

    Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Those are some real treasures you found. You got lucky, girl...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, you are a terrific treasure hunter! Love the money bag pillow and yes, you may have started a trend. BUT the cedar chest was great! I wonder who was hiding in there when someone shot it? Just think of the stories it could tell. I vote turquoise for it, but then I always vote turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have some serious snagging ability getting that chest for $1.00, along with all those other items. I'm looking forward to what color you will choose for it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  17. You scored some really great items. Thank you for sharing on Fluster’s Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you got some great stuff! Can't wait to see what you do next!Thank You so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week! Happy Friday!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great finds Susan! I really need to go to an auction!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great finds. The penny sack was just screaming to be a pillow! Can't wait to start hitting the garages sales here. The weather finally has warmed up enough!

    Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW... I want to go garage saleing with you! Love the stuff you found! Thanks for linking up the the "Go Get Your Garage Sale On Linky Party"! http://www.brightgreendoor.com/2013/05/go-get-your-garage-sale-on-with.html

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!